Last week I was asked about making a webservice work in Microsoft Flow. We were using the floatrates url to get some XML back with exchange rates.
So I used the following url: http://www.floatrates.com/daily/gbp.xml
This all worked really well and I got quite quickly some XML back but then the trouble started.
I used XPath to get the bit of XML that I was interested in.
At first I thought that I got the right data back as I got the right number of items back in my Initialize variable action:
The right number of items yes, but no usable data. The $content doesn’t look usable anyway.
Then I tried the json equivalent version of the service and as soon as I started running my flow I know got some json returned by my HTTP action in Flow. So I now started using http://www.floatrates.com/daily/gbp.json instead:
Now all I had to do was use the following Expression:
and I got my exchange rate back. When using Flow it is a lot easier to use the more modern JSON and XML seems to not be handled properly. SO if you have the choice I would recommend JSON.
Last week Shane Young asked me about calculating the Sum for a SharePoint column in…