Today I needed to add some additional fields to content types. I heard about upgrade features before, but I never tried using this.
It was quite simple.
First I added a version number to the feature:
Then I added some Upgrade actions:
Now running an Update-SPSolution to install the new solution does … absolutely nothing to my site.
Each feature with upgrades need to have a feature upgraded.this can be done with the SPFeature.Upgrade() method.
So I created another feature, which upgrades my content type feature.
public override void FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)
if (site != null)
if (feature.DefinitionId.ToString() == “119ea7f0-da08-4d6b-8c0f-0706240bfc5a”)
catch (Exception Ex)
Still quite a tricky problem.
When you run Update-SPSolution the new feature doesn’t appear. You first need to uninstall and reinstall the solution. This will now add the new feature. But now when I activate my feature again absolutely nothing happens.
I had to update the version number of my feature again
Run Update-SPSolution and my changes have come through after I activate my new feature.