Over the last year or so I’ve only really looked at the bleeding edge technology released by Microsoft. Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Forms, SharePoint Online, PowerApps and Microsoft Flow and anything related have been very interesting.
Just before the 2017 year ends however I’m now working on a SharePoint 2016 project and it’s quite a challenge to go back to technology like SharePoint Designer workflows. Today one of those small problems that can be a bit of a challenge is to get the value of a Managed Metadata column.
I first went down the root of simply setting a variable to my column
But I bumped quite quickly into the following error as I was setting a string variable to the value of the Managed Metadata column:
Details: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the workflow instance. Exception details: System.InvalidCastException: The value ‘d/results(0)/Location’ cannot be read as type ‘String’. at Microsoft.Activities.GetDynamicValueProperty`1.CheckedRead(String propertyName, DynamicItem value) at Microsoft.Activities.GetDynamicValueProperty`1.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity`1.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)
Quite quickly I now found:
So I went throguh these steps:
Choose action – set
In the value section (popup when you click
value)- choose the
data sourceas the list which you are fetching the column from –
field from source– choose the managed metadata column internal name
find in the list item section– choose the
IDand value to be
CurrentItem -> ID(should look like
Click on OK. This should get you value of the managed metadata column.
If you want, you can use the action
Log item to the history listto check the value.
So I change my set variable step into something like this: where I selected my Location column again:
But still no luck. Then I tried the Location_0 column, Huh what is this. My internal name of the column is definitely Location and not Location_0
Then I simplified my step again and the Location_0 column did the trick again.
SharePoint 2016 – Aaah, SharePoint Designer workflows!